Danielle Atksinson, University of Victoria

Danielle Atkinson

My name is Danielle Atkinson (nee Bruce), I am Cree Metis with roots in Duck Lake Sask/Red River Settlement. I am an MPH student with training in community-based research and Indigenous health and will be starting my medical school journey this fall through UBC’s Island Medical Program at the UVic campus.

See Danielle’s presentation, Developing a Métis-Specific Model of Health and Wellness in the Context of HIV/HCV and STBBI Care on Friday, August 14th at 10 am PST/2:00 PM ADT

One comment

1. Justin Turner

Hi Danielle,

Congratulations on medical school! I’m really excited for you first and foremost, and of course happy for the increased Métis representation in the medical field 🙂 I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make your presentation, but wish you luck with it. I remember you sharing a bit about your work during last year’s Métis Nation AGM and it sounded fascinating.

I have a question which maybe you’ll address during your presentation: do you think the Métis-specific model from your research could work in other practice settings? As a Métis clinician (OT) I do strive to enact my Otipemisiwak worldview wherever possible (e.g., spending extra time with Elders, doing nature-based activities, wearing Métis sash lanyard). I’m interested in the question of how to bring Indigenous cultures to our healthcare system in meaningful ways.

Anyway, congratulations again for everything Danielle!